The Dan Maples design jump-started Pawleys Island’s emergence as the home of one of golf’s greatest course clusters, combining Lowcountry beauty with superior architecture to produce an unforgettable layout.
There is no greater testament to the quality and value Heritage Club delivers than its tee sheet. As an anchor course for the Legends Resort package and the Waccamaw Golf Trail’s offerings, Heritage has long been one of Myrtle Beach’s most popular layouts.
With that in mind, here is what you should most be looking forward to about your next round at Heritage:
1. Much of the challenge and allure are on the course’s greens, which are, to put it mildly, memorable. The putting surfaces are as large and undulating as any along the Grand Strand and an unforgettable part of the Heritage experience.
2. Now that we’ve put a scare into you, understand that Heritage, while challenging, is very fair. The course isn’t overwhelmingly long and those famed greens are often open in the front, allowing players the option to run the ball up.
3. The most talked about hole at Heritage Club is probably the par 3 13th, and once you play it, you will know why. The par 3 plays 175 yards, across water, from the white tees to a green that is 50 yards wide and full of movement. Trust your swing and hold on tight.
4. The closing hole, the 470-yard (white tees), par 5 18th, is arguably Heritage’s best. If your first thought upon seeing this 470-yard, par 5 is, “I might be able to get home in two,” pack a lunch. The green, which is surrounded by water, is reachable, but it’s all carry. It’s a great risk-reward finishing hole and getting to the green is only part of the challenge. Two-putting on the massive, undulating green is an accomplishment.
5. While enjoying a great golf course, don’t forget to enjoy the surrounding beauty. Heritage is set on land that was once home to thriving rice and indigo plantations, lined by massive live oak trees. The abundant marsh areas you will see were once home to the rice fields that made Georgetown the richest county in the world.
Heritage Club is one of the Myrtle Beach area’s finest courses and one you should have near the top of your must-play list in 2017.
Have you played Heritage? What do you think makes it a special part of your Myrtle Beach golf experience?